UNIT 2 THE WEB PAGE
Back to the index| Previous | Next
To open the note book and to write a simple web page,
yo save it as file.htm
and to read it with the browser
The tags html, head, body
What HTML means?
- HTML is not a programming language, but a language to write web pages.
- The markup tags tell the Web browser how to display the page.
- An HTML file can be created using a simple text editor.
- To write a web page you have to use an editor of textual or graphic type.
- It's better to use a textual editor in order to learn HTML code.
- A very good textual editor is HTML-kit. It's free and you can download it
- A good graphic editor is Dreamweaver. (But it isn't free!)
- The simplest textual editor to write a file HTML (if you use Windows) is Note pad.
(Open it with Start - Programs - Accessories - Note pad )
What are the tags?
HTML tags are sintactic elements used to mark-up HTML elements, like
The two characters "<" and ">" are called angle brackets.
The start tag is <b>
The end tag is </b>
| Code (what you write)|| Output (what the browser shows)|
|<b> Hello </b> to everybody!!!
||Hello to everybody!!! |
The web page
The html file (or web page) is an object between
<html> ….. </html> tags
In the web page there are 2 sub-objects: a head and a body.
The head is an object between <head> ….. </head> tags.
head contents informations about the page.
The content of the page is between the tags:
<body> ….. </body>
In the body object there are several objects: text, images, anchors, tables,
forms, list ....
Every object has different tags.
We'll learn it!
Write your first web page!
- Open the Note Pad (Start, Programs, Accessories, Note Pad)
- Write this text:
This is my first web page (or whatever you want to write)
- Save the file as index.htm (Be sure to choose All files when you save it!)
- Open the saved file with a double click on it and look.
The browser will open automatically. To see the code HTML,
click on the menu View - HTML
- If ok, upload this file in your work area (Laboratories)
in the Comenius site
(open the Personal pages Administration and Upload your file)
The file you have just created will take place of the Temporary Home Page.
- Write a message in the forum "The web page" to inform that your page is done!